Delicious and moist blueberry banana muffins with a streusel topping and a sweet vanilla glaze.
Blueberry Banana Muffins
These muffins are made using my Blueberry Banana Bread copycat recipe for the Farmhouse Kitchen. Farmhouse Kitchen is located in the Old Mill District in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
The bread is absolutely moist, flavorful, and delicious. It's super easy to convert this bread to a muffin recipe, and there's a sweet vanilla glaze added to the top of these muffins.
Fresh VS. Frozen
I use fresh blueberries when making my blueberry banana bread or muffins but you can certainly substitute the fresh for frozen.
When using frozen blueberries, it's important to not let them thaw out because using thawed blueberries will cause the batter to turn blue or purple. Just use them frozen and they'll come out great!
RELATED: Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins
One trick to getting moist banana muffins is to use overripe bananas. The bananas will smush easily with a fork and will blend easily into the batter.
Blueberry Banana Crumb Topping Muffins
These blueberry banana muffins are made using two different oven temperatures. This allows the muffins to rise and become soft and springy on the inside but have a crisp on the outside. This is how you achieve these results using two different temperatures.
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- Bake for 5 minutes
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°
- Bake for an additional 12-14 minutes
Making These Muffins
I use cupcakes liners when making my muffins but you can grease the muffin tin instead. Make sure to grease the tin well to reduce any sticking. I fill the liners all the way to the top to get the "muffin top" look.
To make the crumb topping for these muffins, mix the streusel topping and gently press the mixture into the batter so that it sticks and doesn't fall off during baking.
Once the muffins are baked allow let them cool before drizzling the glaze on top of the crumb topping. If they're too warm then the glaze will melt into the muffins.
RELATED: Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup bananas, smashed, approx 2 bananas
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- blueberries, for garnish
Sweet Vanilla Glaze
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 425° and line muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl, blend together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, blend eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- Add in the mashed bananas and blueberries.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until blended well.
- Fill the muffin liners all the way to the top.
- Combine the melted butter, flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon until crumbly.
- Divide the crumb topping evenly among the 12 muffins and press in gently.
- Top the crumb topping with blueberries.
- Bake in the oven at 425° for 5 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350° for 12 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before drizzling with glaze.
Sweet Vanilla Glaze
- In a small bowl, combine confectioner's sugar, vanilla extract, and milk until smooth.
- Drizzle on top of cool muffins.
*I have updated the crumb topping ingredients after bakers finding issues with the crumb topping coming out too liquidy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 12.1gSaturated Fat: 2.5gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 42.3gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 24.6gProtein: 3.4g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Easy Brown Butter Pancakes
- Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
- Jumbo Chocolate Chunk Muffins Recipe (Costco Copycat)
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.