S’mores cupcakes made with a intense chocolate cupcake with a graham cracker crust. Topping these decadent cupcakes is a marshmallow buttercream frosting garnished with a milk chocolate piece and toasted marshmallow.
These S’mores cupcakes are the perfect summertime treat and a fun spin on the classic S’mores campfire treat.
These S’mores cupcakes are made with this deliciously intense and rich cupcake recipe. The cupcake batter is made with coffee which helps increase the chocolate flavor.
Before the chocolate cupcakes are baked, the graham cracker crust is made and divided among 16 cupcake liners and baked for 5 minutes.
Once the graham cracker crusts are baked and taken out of the oven, the chocolate cupcake batter is divided equally among the 16 liners and then the muffin tins are returned to the oven to continue baking.
You can’t have a S’more with marshmallows and this marshmallow frosting is the perfect match for these chocolate cupcakes with a graham cracker crust.
This marshmallow buttercream is made by beating the unsalted butter until creamy and adding the vanilla extract, and the confectioner’s sugar.
The marshmallow fluff is beaten into the buttercream frosting and the heavy cream is added a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Regular milk can be use in place of heavy cream.
Once the marshmallow frosting is made it can then be piped onto cool cupcakes.
Ingredients in S’Mores Cupcakes
- All-purpose flour – spooned & leveled
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Eggs – room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar – packed
- Vegetable oil – oil creates a fluffier and tender cake than using butter
- Vanilla extract
- Buttermilk – you can substitute buttermilk for using regular milk and adding 1 tsp of lemon juice to it. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes before adding the milk into the ingredients
- Hot water + instant coffee – coffee gives chocolate baked goods an intense flavor
- Graham cracker crumbs + melted butter – For the graham cracker crust bottom
Ingredients in Marshmallow Frosting
- Unsalted butter – room temperature
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Heavy cream – regular milk works well, too
- Vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Fluff
RELATED: S’Mores Rice Krispies Treats
How to Make S’mores Cupcakes
When making these cupcakes, it is best to work with room temperature ingredients. The first step to making these cupcakes is to prepare the graham cracker crust.
Mix the melted butter with the graham cracker crumbs and then scoop one tablespoon of crumbs into 16 cupcake liners each.
The crust mixture is baked in the oven at 350° for 5 minutes. The muffin tins are then removed and the cupcake batter is made.
Beat the granulated sugar and brown sugar together with the vegetable oil. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and the unsweetened cocoa powder.
Combine the hot water with the instant coffee and set aside to allow it to cool.
In a separate bowl, combine the salt, baking powder, baking soda, and the all-purpose flour together.
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and then pour in the buttermilk and the coffee.
Scoop the cupcake batter equally into the 16 cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting with the marshmallow frosting.
How to Make Marshmallow Frosting
To make the marshmallow buttercream frosting, start with softened unsalted butter.
Cream the butter until smooth and add in the confectioner’s sugar and the vanilla extract. Spoon the marshmallow fluff into the frosting mixture and beat until combined. Add the heavy cream a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached for either piping or spreading onto the cupcakes.
Top these S’Mores cupcakes with a piece of chocolate bar and a toasted marshmallow.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp instant coffee + 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 oz Marshmallow fluff
- Marshmallows + chocolate bar pieces, for garnish
- Prepare the oven to 350°
- Line muffin tins with 16 cupcake liners.
- Combine the melted butter and the graham cracker crumbs until well combined.
- Scoop one tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs into each liner and press down into the liner.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes before removing from the oven and setting aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable oil, granulated sugar, and the light brown sugar.
- Add in the vanilla extract and the eggs and beat until blended.
- Combine the 1/4 cup of hot water and combine it with the instant coffee.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Pour in the coffee mixture and the buttermilk* and mix until combined.
- Scoop the cupcake batter equally into each cupcake liner and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Check the center of the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Cream the unsalted butter until smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and the confectioner’s sugar.
- Scoop the marshmallow fluff into the mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the heavy cream a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe frosting on cool cupcakes and store them in an air tight container.
*Buttermilk can be substituted with regular milk by combining the 1/4 cup of milk with 1 tsp of lemon juice. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes before adding it into the batter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 1gSugar: 51gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.