Delicious Oreo Buttercream Cupcakes made with homemade buttercream frosting mixed with crushed oreo cookies.
I think my favorite thing about making cupcakes is that I make them for my family. It’s something that even though I’ve made them a million times before, they still get excited.
They really enjoy my buttercream frosting so when my oldest daughter made the suggestion to use my buttercream recipe and mix in Oreo’s my response was, “Hey, why not?”
Not only did they turn out beautifully but they tasted just like an Oreo cookie and they still had the familiar flavor of my homemade buttercream. So here it is My Oreo Buttercream Cupcakes Recipe! Make sure to check out Oreo Buttercream Cupcakes Recipe and Video Tutorial for this dessert.
Making the Oreo Cupcakes
The trick to these cupcakes is adding sour cream to the cupcake batter to make the cupcake lighter and airier and to set a balance with the Oreo buttercream frosting. The end result is a smooth and creamier batter. Adding sour cream to the batter makes the muffin tins more full and makes for a taller cupcake.
I used a cookie scoop to evenly fill the liners. Of course, if you don’t have a cookie scoop, try to fill the liners about halfway full. As a result, you’ll have tall, full cupcakes and a mouth full of chocolate.
The trick to making the Oreo buttercream frosting is to add milk in increments so the mixture doesn’t become hard to blend.
Additionally, adding the milk slowly keeps the mixture creamy and helps incorporate the ingredients to create a consistently textured frosting.
Topping these cupcakes off with a whole Oreo cookie gives an inviting presentation and an adorable look. These cupcakes would be great for classrooms, get-togethers and special occasions such as Valentine’s Day. What better way to tell someone you love them than to bake them something from the heart?
If you’re looking for a smaller cupcake you can bake these in mini cupcake tins. You will need to adjust the baking time to 11-14 minutes and use mini Oreos for decoration. The batter will make about 48 mini cupcakes.
Oreo Buttercream Cupcakes are Perfect for Birthdays
My kids request these for birthday parties. The children love to hand these cupcakes out to their classmates! They’re also easy to make and they are not very time-consuming!
Love Cupcakes? Check out these links –
- Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes
- Caramel Drizzled Brown Sugar Vanilla Cupcakes
- Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 oz sour cream
For the Oreo buttercream frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely crushed oreos
- 1/3 cup milk, divided
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray tins with PAM non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine eggs, milk, and vegetable oil until well blended.
- Add in chocolate cake mix and stir until well blended.
- Stir in sour cream and mix until fluffy.
- Fill liners about halfway full. I used a cookie scoop.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the Oreo Buttercream Frosting
- Using electric mixer, combine 1/2 cup softened butter and 1/2 cup shortening.
- Add in vanilla.
- Add in 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Add in half of the 1/3 cup of milk. Mix until milk is well blended into mixture.
- Add in the last 2 cups of powdered sugar and the rest of milk.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of finely crushed oreos.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g