Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon aka beef burgundy is a beef stew cooked in red wine and it results in tender flavorful chunks of stew meat.
Beef bourguignon is made with beef stew, carrots, mushrooms, and bacon cooked in a red wine sauce. This dish was created in France and is often served with mashed potatoes, noodles, or dinner rolls.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
The ingredients for beef bourguignon are pretty straightforward and are not out of the ordinary. If you don't have them on hand, they're easy to find at your local grocery store.
- Bacon - crumbled
- Chuck roast - cut into small bites
- Garlic cloves - minced - A garlic press is a great tool to use to mince garlic
- Tomato paste
- Red Wine - Cabernet Sauvignon is a great selection for cooking red meats
- Beef broth - low sodium to cut the sodium content in the meal
- Salt & Pepper
- Bouquet Garni - Fresh parsley, thyme, and bay leaves - wound together and discarded before serving.
- Cornstarch & Water - to create a slurry to thicken the sauce
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
Saute the Ingredients: The Instant Pot is set to saute and the bacon is chopped and added to the pot. It is cooked until crispy, and then the chuck roast is added into the pot and seared on all sides.
Once the meat is seared, the minced garlic, chopped carrots, onions, and mushrooms are added and cooked until fragrant.
Add the liquids: Cancel is pressed on the Instant Pot and red wine is added and used to deglaze the inner liner. Make sure to get all of the stuck-on bits! The red wine will help loosen anything that may be stuck to the bottom.
Deglaze is the process of using a wooden spoon (or similar) to scrape off any stuck-on bits on the bottom of the liner. This will help prevent a burn notice.
TIP: If you don't want to use red wine in your beef bourguignon, you can substitute it for more beef broth. This will however alter the recipe and in turn, the overall taste of the dish.
Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top of the red wine. The tomato paste and the low sodium beef broth are added next.
Create the Bouquet Garni: Create the bouquet garni by using kitchen twine to tie together the fresh parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Drop the bouquet on top of the pot and begin pressure cooking.
RELATED: Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Pressure Cook the beef bourguignon: It is now time to pressure cook the beef bourguignon. Close the lid and the vent and pressure cook on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 45 minutes.
Once the 45 minutes are up, allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure and removing the lid. You do not want to rush this step.
If you quickly release pressure in the pot, it will suck the moisture out of the meat and the meat will be dry and tough. It's worth the wait!
Refer to your pressure cooker's manual for how to safely perform its functions.
Create a slurry: Once the lid is removed, discard the bay leaves and create a slurry to thicken the sauce. Return the Instant Pot to saute and mix together the cornstarch and water until smooth and then add it to the pot.
Stir the slurry mixture into the pot and allow the sauce to thicken. Press cancel on the pot and serve the Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon with mashed potatoes if desired - it's the classic pairing!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 lb chuck roast, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 4 Parsley sprigs
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch + 2 teaspoon water (for slurry)
- Mashed Potatoes (for serving)
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the bacon.
- Cook the chopped bacon until done.
- Add in the cubed chuck roast and sear on all sides.
- Add the minced, garlic, chopped carrots, onions, and mushrooms.
- Press cancel.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pot by scraping any stuck-on bits off the bottom of the inner liner. If anything is stuck to the bottom it will result in a “burn” notice.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and basil.
- Add in the tomato paste and the low sodium beef broth.
- Create the bouquet garni by using kitchen twine to tie together the fresh parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. You can also lay them on top of the pot but may need to pick through to remove them later.
- Close the lid and set it to HIGH PRESSURE/MANUAL for 45 minutes.
- Allow a natural release of 10 minutes before removing the lid.*
- Once the lid is removed, set the Instant Pot to Sauté and discard the bouquet garni.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water to create a slurry and add it to the pot.
- Stir to mix and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Press cancel and serve with mashed potatoes if desired.
*Refer to your pressure cooker’s manual for how to safely perform its functions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 741mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 43g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.