Homemade apple fritters made with a cinnamon and apple spice blend and freshly diced apples.
These doughnuts are glazed with a sweet vanilla glaze and have delicious apple pieces in every bite.
Choose Your Apples
Choose your apples wisely when making these apple fritters. Make sure to use apple that are more tart than sweet and apples that are used for baking work much better when making Homemade Apple Fritters than those that don’t.
Jonagold apples are probably my favorite when baking because they are tart and they have a more flavorful kick. They also don’t mush when baking or frying so that it you still get that nice apple texture in your desserts.
Honeycrisp apples are all around popular apple and they’re also great for baking and cooking. They are juicy, crisp, and they have a honey flavor to them.
Granny Smith is your classic tart apple and work wonderfully in this recipe! The tartness of these apples pair deliciously with the sweet vanilla glaze that these fritters are coated in.
All of these apples would work well when making these homemade apple fritter doughnuts.
Apple Fritter Doughnut Batter
When making doughnut batter it is important to not over knead your dough. If the dough is worked too much it will result in hard and dense doughnuts.
To achieve lighter and fluffier apple fritters, keep the kneading to a minimum.
Frying Homemade Fritters
To get perfect fritters, it’s important to have the oil heated to the correct temperature from the beginning. To make this super easy, use a candy thermometer to get to the correct temperature.
Another important step in deep frying is to never overcrowd your oil. If you do, it will result in unevenly fried foods as well as an uneven temperature and can result in raw centers for the apple fritters.
RELATED: Caramel Apple Pie
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
Homemade Apple Pie Spice
There are two ways of adding apple pie spice to your doughnut batter. The first is to use an apple pie spice blend already premixed for convenience.
The second way of doing this is to use a variety of spices to create the apple pie spice blend. To make this spice homemade you will need:
Either way to choose to make these apple fritter doughnuts, they will taste delicious!
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups diced apples, peeled
- oil, for frying*
Apple Fritter Glaze
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 tbsp milk
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
- Mix in the sugar to combine.
- Beat in the softened butter and the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Mix well.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients into the center.
- Beat the dough and add the apples, until just combined.
- Knead until the dough becomes sticky. Add enough flour to make the dough slighy sticky if needed.
- Pour enough oil in a pot to cover the doughnuts completely.
- Heat to 375° using a candy themometer to check temperature.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop the dough into balls.
- Carefully drop the dough into the heated oil. Don't overcrowd the oil.**
- The dough will drop under the oil and then pop back up to the surface. Allow the apple fritters to fry on each side for about 65 seconds.
- Remove the apple fritter from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and set on a papertowel lined plate to drain.
- Once all of the fritters are made, set them onto a cooling rack with parchment paper underneath. This will catch any glaze that falls from the fritters.
Apple Fritter Glaze
- Combine the confectioner's sugar and the vanilla extract together and mix until no lumps remain. Combine using a shallow bowl.
- Slowly add in the milk and combine until the desired consistancty is reached.
- Dip each side of the fritters into the glaze mixture and place them on the cooling rack.
- Repeat until all the fritters are covered.
- If desired, drizzle any remaining glaze onto the apple fritters.
*Use a candy thermometer to reach the desired temp for frying.
**Fry the apple fritters in batches so that the temperature doesn't drop and the the fritters are fried evenly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 fritter
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g