Oatmeal Pie Cupcakes made with an oatmeal and flour blend and flavored with cinnamon. Frosting these cupcakes is a homemade buttercream and topped with an oatmeal pie wedge.
Making Oat Flour
This recipe for oatmeal pie cupcakes has a mixture of all-purpose flour and ground old-fashioned oats.
The easiest way to make oat flour is by using a food processor. It blends easily and gets the desired powdered results.
Adding the other dry ingredients to the powdered oats makes for super easy blending of the dry ingredients. Add the other dry ingredients to the processor and use quick pulses to blend the ingredients together.
Making the Cupcakes
To get light and fluffy cupcakes, it’s important to blend the ingredients following the directions.
The buttermilk is added alternately with the dry mixture so that it doesn’t get overbeaten.
If you do not have buttermilk, this can easily be substituted for regular milk with 1 tsp of lemon juice. Allow the milk to sit for 5 minutes before adding it to the other ingredients.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
Oatmeal Pie Cupcakes Buttercream Frosting
Buttercream frosting is incredibly easy to make and it makes piping cupcakes easy. For success when making buttercream frosting, it’s important to use softened butter, not chilled, and not melted.
After combining the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract, it is then time to add the milk. Add the milk at 1 tbsp at a time. Once you reach a smooth but still pipable texture it is ready to use on the cupcakes.
To pipe cupcakes, the recommended supplies are:
To top these oatmeal pie cupcakes, slice each oatmeal creme pies into 4 equal pieces. Gently place the quartered oatmeal creme pie into the center of the frosting.
Ingredients in Oatmeal Pie Cupcakes
- All purpose flour – spooned & leveled
- Old Fashioned Oats
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Unsalted butter
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Sour Cream
TIP: You can substitute the buttermilk with 1/3 cup of milk + 1 tsp of lemon juice. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes before adding it to the ingredients.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cups old fashioned oats, ground
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup buttermilk*
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Add the old fashioned oats to a food processor and grind them to a powder.
- Add the spooned and leveled all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using quick pulses combine the dry ingredients together, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened butter together with the brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and the sour cream.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until blended.
- Beat in half of the buttermilk*.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and the remaining buttermilk*.
- Scoop into the cupcake liners and fill ¾ full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 16 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
*You can substitute the buttermilk with 1/3 cup of milk + 1 tsp of lemon juice. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes before adding it to the ingredients.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g