This Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham Copycat is incredibly flavorful and moist just like the store bought variety.
Save money by making your own delicious Honey baked ham at home and use your Instant Pot to create it!
Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham Copycat
Honey baked ham from the famous store can carry a hefty price tag but you can buy a spiral cut ham for much less. With some basic spices mixed with honey, butter, and sugar you can make your very own at home with little effort.
The time it takes to pressure cook a ham depends on the size. As long as you can fit the ham in your Instant Pot and can close the lid with clearance, you’re good to go! Keep in mind, a sling is perfect to help raise the ham out of the inner liner once it is done cooking.
If by chance you can’t fit the ham comfortably in the Instant Pot, don’t worry. Trim off excess from the ham in order to make it fit into the pot. Remember, leave enough room on the top to easily close the lid and lock it.
To pressure cook a pre-cooked ham, add 2 minutes per pound to the pressure cooking time as well as 10 minutes to the overall cook time. This will heat the ham up thoroughly.
A ten-minute natural release time is done on the honey baked ham. This step is important because if a quick release is performed then it will suck the juices out of the vent and the result will be dry and less flavorful.
RELATED: Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa Tacos
Ingredients for Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham
A precooked spiral cut ham is ideal when making this recipe so the glaze can get down into the nooks and crannies of the ham and make the ham flavorful throughout.
- Precooked spiral cut ham – 4 to 5 pounds fit nicely in a 6 quart Instant Pot. Either boneless or bone-in ham works well.
- Granulated Sugar
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and paprika
- Water- for the inner liner
- Cornstarch and water – to create a slurry for the glaze
RELATED: Instant Pot Root Beer Pulled Pork
How to Make Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham
To make Instant Pot Ham you need just three things to make a flavorful and delicious Honey Baked Ham. Aluminum foil to wrap the ham to keep heat and juices in, a silicone sling (or one made out of foil) to lower and lift the ham out of the Instant Pot, and the Instant Pot itself.
There’s no need for an oven for this Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham and it only takes two minutes per pound plus 10 additional minutes no matter the amount of pounds that are being pressure cooked.
In the first step, the butter, sugar, and honey is melted together. Once it is all melted together, the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and paprika are added into the melted mixture.
Aluminum foil is placed under ham and folded up the sides to prevent any liquid from leaking out from around the ham.
The melted liquid is then drizzled over the ham and also drizzled down between the slices of the spiral cut ham. Any remaining liquid on top will get rubbed into the ham. Once all of the honey mixture is used, more aluminum foil is added on top of the ham to seal in the moisture.
One cup of water is added to the liner of the Instant Pot and then the prepped spiral cut ham is then placed on the sling. It is then lowered down into the Instant Pot and the lid is closed as well as the vent.
The pressure cook time for precooked ham is two minutes per pound plus an additional 10 minutes. As an example, a 4 pound ham will be 8 minutes plus 10 minutes. So the pressure cook time will be 18 minutes and then a 10 minute natural pressure release time.
After the lid is removed, use the sling to remove the ham and drain the water from the inner liner. Place the ham back into the pot and remove the aluminum foil from around it to allow the liquid to settle into the bottom of the liner.
Set the Instant Pot to sauté and mix together the water and the cornstarch together before pouring into the pot. Allow the ingredients to combine and press Cancel. The sauce will thicken and then it can be poured on top of the Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham.
- 4 lb spiral cut precooked ham*
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 2 tsp water, for slurry
- 1 cup water, for inner liner
- Melt the sugar, honey, and butter together.
- Stir in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and paprika.
- Combine well.
- Place aluminum foil under the precooked ham. Use enough to go up around the sides.
- Drizzle the honey mixture on top of the ham and down between the slices.
- Rub any remaining liquid that may be on top of the ham into it.
- Wrap the ham up in the foil and add additional foil on top to cover it completely.
- Add 1 cup of water to the liner.
- Place the ham on the sling and carefully lower it down into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and the vent and pressure cook a 4 lb ham for 8 minutes plus an additional 10 minutes. Total: 18 minutes. SEE NOTE FOR DIFFERENT WEIGHTS.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before removing the lid.
- Carefully remove the ham with the sling from the inner liner and place it on a plate.
- Pour out the liquid from the bottom of the liner and place the liner back into the Instant Pot.
- Place the ham back into the pot and remove the aluminum foil to allow the liquid to drip down into the liner.
- Remove the ham and set the Instant Pot to Saute.
- Combine the water and cornstarch before adding the slurry into the pot.
- Stir the slurry into the liquid and press CANCEL.
- Drizzle the glaze on top of the ham before serving.
*Pressure cook for 2 minutes per pound. Add 10 additional minutes to any size ham. Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes
*EXAMPLE: A 5 lb ham will take 10 minutes plus 10 minutes for a total of 20 minutes with a 10 minute natural release time.
Natural release prevents the ham from drying out and losing flavor. For maximum flavor always naturally release pressure when pressure cooking meats.
When pressure cooking large hams, double the recipe for the glaze (sugar, honey, butter, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and paprika.)
Please refer to your pressure cooker manual for proper usage and directions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1607mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 30gProtein: 34g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.