Deliciously easy and cheesy Instant Pot Broccoli & Cheddar Soup is ready in less than 30 minutes with minimal cleanup.
Hearty and Cheesy Soup
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is a known comfort food and it can be made with ease using the Instant Pot. It takes less than 30 minutes to make this soup using the Instant Pot! This soup is made using cubed sharp cheddar cheese, fresh broccoli florets, and served in a bread bowl. No bread bowl required, though!
Using fresh broccoli yields the best results but if you have frozen on hand, you can use that instead. Half of this soup is pureed so if you don’t have a blender or immersion blender on hand, it’s a good idea to chop half of the broccoli into smaller pieces before pressure cooking it.
There are two ways to getting this soup pureed. The first way is by using a blender. To puree using a countertop blender, remove half of the soup after it has been pressure-cooked.
The soup will be very hot so take caution when transferring and pouring it into the blender. Allow the steam to escape from the lid so that it doesn’t build up pressure from the steam and cause the soup to explode. Puree for just a few seconds to break down the broccoli and to puree the soup.
My favorite way to puree soups is by using an immersion blender. They’re handy, quick, and no need to transfer the hot soup from one container to another.
An immersion blender works like a countertop blender but submerges into the soup and it is handheld. It’s not only perfect for pureeing soups but also for making smoothies!
Thicken the Soup
After pressure cooking, soup tends to very watery because the water can’t evaporate. Creating a slurry from cornstarch and water solves this issue without any flavor alteration.
Once the cheese is melted and the milk is added while on the saute function, mix together the water and cornstarch and add it into the pot. Stir and allow the soup to thicken on the saute feature for about 3-5 minutes.
Once the saute feature is canceled, the sauce will thicken as it sits and the Instant Pot Broccoli & Cheddar Soup is ready to eat.
RELATED: Instant Pot Cauliflower Potato Soup
Serving Instant Pot Brocolli & Cheddar Soup
Bread bowls are a great way to serve this Instant Pot Broccoli & Cheddar Soup. Using a bread knife, cut a circle out of your bread of choice and remove any bread from the inside to create a hole.
Carefully pour the soup into the bread bowl and serve with the cut pieces of bread from the top.
This soup can also be served in a soup bowl and garnished with cheese if you wish. Serve this bread with a side of bread for dipping if desired!
Easy to Make Instant Pot Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
There are a few steps to making this soup even easier to make.
- Use matchstick carrots – Instead of slicing the carrots yourself to make a cup, use matchstick carrots instead. It saves time on cutting!
- Use cubed cheese – By using cubed cheese, it will melt easier and better than using shredded varieties.
- Skip the bread bowl – It reduces time by not having to carve out the bread bowls, use freshly made bread for dipping instead.
- If you don’t have a blender, chop the broccoli ahead of cooking.
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp hot pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup cornstarch, + ¼ water (for slurry)
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the butter. Allow the butter to melt.
- Add in the chopped onions and garlic, cooking until the onion becomes translucent.
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot and add in the vegetable broth and carrots.
- Add the Dijon mustard, black pepper, hot pepper sauce, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the broccoli florets and close the lid.
- Cook on the setting MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 8 minutes.
- Slowly and carefully perform a quick release (QR) once the time is up.
- Carefully remove the lid and add in the cubed cheese and stir to melt. *
- Set the Instant Pot back to SAUTE and add in the milk, and cornstarch and water slurry.
- Saute for 3-5 minutes and allow the soup to thicken.
*At this time you can remove half of the soup and puree in a blender or use an immersion blender to pulse the soup in the pot. This step is not necessary.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 801mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.