These flavorful and tender Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies are rich in gingerbread spices with the flavor of caramelized sugar in the butterscotch morsels.
These cookies can be easily frozen already baked or by cookie dough in preparation for the Christmas holiday.
RELATED: Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies
Ingredients in Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Molasses – unsulphured
- Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
How to Make Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies
Preheat the oven and prepare the cookie sheets – Preheat oven to 350° F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Combine the wet ingredients – Cream together the softened butter until smooth and then add in the molasses and egg.
Mix together the dry ingredients – In a small bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
Make the cookie dough – Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture until all ingredients are moistened. Stir in the butterscotch morsels.
Scoop the cookie dough – Use a #40 cookie scoop (or 1.6 tablespoons worth of dough) and place it on the prepared cookie sheet.
TIP: Press extra butterscotch morsels into the top of the cookie dough before baking for a prettier cookie.
Bake – Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until cookies the tops of the cookies are lightly browned.
Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
RELATED: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Can you Freeze Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies?
Yes, you can freeze these butterscotch gingerbread cookies easily. You can freeze the baked cookies and you can also freeze the cookie dough.
To freeze the baked cookies – Bake these gingerbread cookies with butterscotch morsels and allow the cookies to completely cool. Once they are cool, transfer the baked cookies to a freezer-safe bag and then place that bag in a freezer-safe container.
TIP: Placing the freezer-safe bag of cookies into a container will maximize the freshness of the cookies.
To freeze the butterscotch gingerbread cookie dough – prepare the dough and wrap it tightly in saran wrap and then place it in a feezer-safe bag.
You can either shape it into a log for easy slicing or you can pre-roll the cookie dough to make it quick to pop in the oven.
Both the frozen already-baked cookies and the butterscotch gingerbread cookie dough can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup molasses, unsulphured
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11 ounces Butterscotch Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the softened butter until smooth and then add in the molasses and egg.
- In a small bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture until all ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in the butterscotch morsels.
- Use a #40 cookie scoop (or 1.6 tablespoons worth of dough) and place it on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes or until cookies the tops of the cookies are lightly browned.
- Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months either baked or as cookie dough.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.