These thin and chewy brown sugar cookies are baked with the flavors of brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla extract. The edges of these sugar cookies are crisp and they have tender and chewy centers.
Ingredients in Brown Sugar Cookies
Simple ingredients are used to make these soft-baked brown sugar cookies.
- All-purpose flour - spooned & leveled
- Salted butter
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Egg + Egg Yolk - an egg separater is a great tool to separate the egg from the yolk.
- Vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
RELATED: Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
How to Make Brown Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies usually require chilling time but not these. These cookies are prepared, rolled in granulated sugar, and baked. These cookies start off as large balls of dough but spread out too thin but chewy deliciously tender cookies.
I usually prefer my cookies thick and chewy but these cookies are pretty high on the list of my favorite cookies to make!
Start with room temperature ingredients- Start with room temperature butter. It will cream together with the brown sugar more easily and it will make the process of creating the dough much quicker.
Preheat the oven- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Room temperature egg and egg yolk will blend with the other ingredients easier as well.
Combine the dry ingredients- In a medium-size bowl, spoon and level the all-purpose flour and stir in the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
TIP: Stir the all-purpose flour and spoon it into the dry measuring cup. Using the back of the spoon, scrape off the extra flour. This spoon and level method reduces the amount of flour that is used by up to 50%. That's a lot of extra unnecessary flour!
Combine the wet ingredients- Beat the room temperature salted butter until it is creamy. Beat in the dark brown sugar and then the molasses.
Once those ingredients are mixed well, beat in the egg and the egg yolk as well as the vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Scoop the dough and roll in sugar- Roll the cookie dough by two tablespoons or use a #30 cookie scoop. Pour granulated sugar into a shallow dish and roll each ball of cookie dough into the sugar.
Place the prepared dough two inches apart on the baking sheets and bake one cookie sheet at a time. Bake for twelve to fourteen minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Transfer to an airtight container for maximum freshness.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the spooned and leveled flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- Add in the brown sugar and molasses. Beat until combined.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly beat in the flour mixture until moistened.
- Scoop and roll into 2 tablespoon balls (or use a #30 cookie scoop)
- Roll in sugar and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place th4 dough balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake in batches.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and allowing to cool to room temperature before storing.
Dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.